Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Guys - Best Place for Suits, Shirts, etc.

OK, so just because I%26#39;m a native doesn%26#39;t mean I can post for advice, right?

Need to do some business attire shopping tomorrow, and looking for suggestions.

Looking for decent quality, but fairly inexpensive suits, sport coats, shirts, etc.

Among the places I%26#39;ll probably visit:

- Lord %26amp; Taylor

- Brooks Brothers

- Mens Suits New York (multiple locations, have bought there before, and was happy with quality, although they seem a bit under-the-board)

- Britches New York (40th and Madison - anyone been there?)

- Charles Tyrwhitt

Century 21 is also an option, but a bit out the way for my agenda tomorrow. Daffy%26#39;s is close enough, but they%26#39;re very hit or miss.

Any additional recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Guys - Best Place for Suits, Shirts, etc.

Burlington coat factory - 707 6th ave

Syms

Tj Max

saks fifth ave

Guys - Best Place for Suits, Shirts, etc.

Syms!

Esp the one near Trinity Church. My colleagues always say, ';it%26#39;s the best place for a funeral suit.'; I know it%26#39;s not the most cutting edge, but everything is ';basic';, and the prices are good, so seems hard to go wrong.

However, check their return policy. I believe they still adhere to ';store credit only.'; Can%26#39;t recall.


Excellent recommendations, thanks TMoo and QB. I was trying to remember Syms...have never been there, but will definitely check it out.

Keep %26#39;em coming.


I like Lord %26amp; Taylor for things like sweaters and shirts but haven%26#39;t looked at their suits. Brooks Brothers is ok if their cut fits you (it tends to be generous). Syms and Men%26#39;s Warehouse are very good for suits and sport coats. I go to the one at 54 st. and do fine. Don%26#39;t think it%26#39;s necessary to go downtown. I haven%26#39;t been to or heard of Britches, but that stretch of Madison in the 40%26#39;s is loaded with men%26#39;s stores. That%26#39;s where Men%26#39;s Warehouse is located and there%26#39;s also a Daffy%26#39;s there on Mad. %26amp; 44 st.


Ditto Sym%26#39;s - great bargains.

Also Rothman%26#39;s on Union Square and Joseph Bank on Madison.

Nothing ';inexpensive'; about Brooks Brothers or Britches however.

You should also look at J Crew for sales and Banana Republic.

All the big dept stores have sales on men%26#39;s suiting also.


One more recommendation here for Sym%26#39;s at Trinity Place. Your description is precisely their specialty: business attire that is decent quality, but fairly inexpensive.


where did you get the clothes????


Well, I wound up going to Britches. Got two suits for a very decent price. It%26#39;s one of those ';you gotta dicker with the prices'; places, and you really have to know what you%26#39;re looking for, because they%26#39;ll try to sell you anything. You have to be firm and let them know exactly what you%26#39;re looking for, and how much you%26#39;re willing to pay.

Really not a place to go for the timid, but it seemed well trafficked.

I will definitely check out Syms next time, so I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

P.S. Men%26#39;s Wearhouse is great...actually got our wedding tuxedos there, but haven%26#39;t really purchased clothes there.


I am glad you were able to get something! My husband is like that he has no problem haggling. I get embarrassed! so I guess we do a good guy bad guy routine and we get good deals. I think he annoys the people so much that they just want to get him out of their store. I should take my husband there !


Hey TMoo -

Yeah, my wife is the same way. Hates haggling.

You have to figure, they are there to make money, you are there to save money. If you ever haggled to the point they weren%26#39;t going to make money, they%26#39;d say ';no';. So, no matter how much you haggle, they%26#39;re still happy, because they%26#39;re making money.

In any case, thanks again for the advice!

  • domain web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment