Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Help -- best hotel for Air Conditioning in NYC

I really love to sleep with the AC set at 65 so it gets really cold. Some hotels have AC units that are near windows and bring in outside air. These often get the room colder than the other kind -- which are usually a main system that operates the whole building. Often times, the main systems are set at 70 or 72, so it%26#39;s impossible to get the room any cooler.





Does anyone know which hotel has the coldest rooms? Preferably someplace in Midtown, but Soho, etc., are fine too. All the hotels by the park I would imagine have main building AC systems, instead of individual units in each room.





Help!



Help -- best hotel for Air Conditioning in NYC


Surprisingly the Holiday Inn Express looks like it has individual units in each room. Does anyone know for sure? Last time in NYC I usually stay at the Soho Grand, but would prefer something more in Midtown.



Help -- best hotel for Air Conditioning in NYC


I%26#39;m a bit skeptical about this post - seems that a 1 time poster is attempting to have a bit of folly with the Forum.



Asking what hotel has the coldest rooms - come on!





However, if you are serious about this I suggest that you contact the individual hotels directly - they would be able to accurately inform you of the type of their air conditioning systems.




So do you keep it set at 85 in the winter so it%26#39;s really warm?




Wow. Um... no.



I%26#39;m being totally serious.





I keep my AC and heater both set at 65 year-round. Sometimes 63. My partner and I like it cold when sleeping.





I%26#39;m asking this question because in the past, it doesn%26#39;t matter what name brand of hotel or the cost of a room - if it%26#39;s incapable of getting cold at night, I have a miserable time trying to sleep.





Budget isn%26#39;t a concern. Temp is. And I know most of the older buildings have poor AC systems. And some of the newer ones, with ';green'; energy, don%26#39;t have powerful enough ones (or they set the main system too high).





When I%26#39;ve called hotels in the past, they don%26#39;t seem to understand this question. Seems NO ONE has ever called prior and asked. So instead of wasting an entire afternoon calling random places, I thought maybe I could ask a question in the Forum (as that%26#39;s the point) and there would be someone else out there who was sensative to sleeping in cool temps that would answer me.




I stayed at the Skyline once and I believe that hotel had the A/C by the window. More of a budget hotel and doesn%26#39;t get great reviews but I liked the area by 50th/10th and the pool on the top floor has great views.




When I stayed at the Club Quarters midtown, it was FREEZING in our room! It wasn%26#39;t a window unit, but there was a thermostat that did absolutely nothing to warm it up. We slept with blankets and the bedspread on, and it was the end of May!




In most hotels in NYC, you can set the AC to be as cold as you want.




The Doubletree Times Square allowed us to keep it cool enough to hang meat last month. No individual window units but the thermostat went down to 60. Slept like a baby the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment