Thursday, April 26, 2012

Need help with finding Italian cookies in NYC

I am in NYC, staying in Times Square and pregnant wife at home demands I bring home some Italian cookies on Sunday. We all know you cannot argue with that type of request :)... As it is pretty warm out, not to mention on the subway. Can anyone recommend a bakery where I can find some Italian pastries and cookies that would survive a trip back to Time Square and a plane ride back to TX?

I have seen the recomendations of Ferrara%26#39;s and a few others, but my concern there is getting them back in the heat. Is this reasonable?

I would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Need help with finding Italian cookies in NYC

Wow, how sweet! Good for you!

If you%26#39;re really concerned, and if you%26#39;re def going to buy pastries with cream or cheese fillings, then buy a cheapo cooler bag at a store like Jack%26#39;s 99 Cents or Kmart, etc.

There are also plenty of types of cookies and pastries without cream that would def last in a regular box, no problem.

I%26#39;d reco Rocco%26#39;s (Greenwich Village), DeRobertis, Venierio%26#39;s (both in East Village) which are all less touristy than Ferrara%26#39;s. (I usually reco Ferrara%26#39;s as a destination in Little Italy to eat while enjoying the atmo and people watch, not as a take out place.)

Not sure if you%26#39;re wife would find this humorous, but hey, just a thought, and it is actually quite tasty, if a bit over the top, so to speak:

The Cassatine Siciliano, available at DeRobertis%26#39;

http://www.nycnosh.com/?p=2

DeRobertis:

http://derobertiscaffe.com/

Need help with finding Italian cookies in NYC

You can certainly find some things that will survive the trip -- just avoid things with mascarpone, or ';cannoli cream'; fillings. Instead, go for biscotti type things, or stuff like pignoli nut cookies. Another thing you could try (it is the surest way to my boss%26#39;s heart, and HE is Italian!) is ';rainbow cookies'; -- you know, the ones that look like a little cookie version of spumoni, with chocolate icing...


Oh, and the hands down favorite at One Police Plaza seems to be Veniero%26#39;s. Don%26#39;%26#39;t ask me why, I%26#39;m not Italian, and though I have a huge sweet toothfor pastry, I have never been overly fond of Italian cookies and pastries...


I appreciate all of the suggestions. I am using hopstop.com to figure out how to get there and all of these places look pretty easy to get to from Time Square. Now another question. What is a typical time for these places to open? We head to the airport at noon tomorrow and I would like to get out there and back in the morning. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.


Ummm, Veniero%26#39;s SHIPS anywhere in the US. Rather than schlepping down there and back and carrying stuff on the plane which may or may not get there in one piece, why not phone them and ship it home? I think that way you can get whatever you want and not worry about whether it will survive (I think they pack it in ice etc. that you couldn%26#39;t do for carry on).

http://www.venierospastry.com/storehrs1.html

They do open at 8 pm 7 days, but I wouldn%26#39;t carry that.

If you HAVE to bring it yourself, go to Pozzo Pastry on 9th ave b/w 48-49 st. which is within a walk from TS.

pozzopastry.com/page/鈥ozzo_Specialties.html

Do you know about Junior%26#39;s famous cheesecake which is at 45 st. just off Broadway? Not sure I%26#39;d carry that back to Texas though.

  • store properties
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment