Friday, April 27, 2012

Taking Metro to JFK

Hi!





I will be in New York with my family next week for the first time. We are staying in a Hotel on 47th street between 5th and 6th avenue.





Is that a safe area to walk on the streets at night?



Can I take a metro to go to JFK airport? How convininet and safe will it be with family?





Regards,





Haridas



Taking Metro to JFK


Yes it%26#39;s certainly safe on that street. You can%26#39;t take a ';metro'; b/c we don%26#39;t have one. We have a subway. ;) It%26#39;s safe but maybe not convenient for getting to the airport if you have lots of luggage and/or are leaving during rush hour since it will be crowded.





I suggest you go to the website hopstop.com and get directions.



Taking Metro to JFK


Unlike the streets of yourown city, the streets in New York are safe to walk at night, particularly in the area you mentioned.





There is no metro in New York City. Instead, we have a ';subway.'; The subway does not go all the way to JFK; instead, you need to change either at Jamaica or at Howard Beach for the Port Authority%26#39;s ';Air Train';. The trip is not too terrible (although very crowded at rush hour) but since all taxi journeys between Manhattan and JFK have the fixed fare of $45 plus tolls, if any (and plus tip), the difference between the public transportation fare and the taxi fare diminishes when you have more people. With a family, I would just take a cab.




OK, Subway.



Sorry for getting that wrong and thanks for correcting it.





Thanks a ton for the help. I will probably take a taxi. By the way, my flight is at 8:00 p.m. When do you think I should start from Manhattan if I take a taxi? What are the the rush hour timings for the subway?





Cheers




If your flight is at 8, you%26#39;d likely need to be there at 6 (but you should ask your AIRLINE what time they require you to arrive). Since it takes about an hour to JFK, that would put you leaving at 5, the HEIGHT of rush hour. I%26#39;d order a car service and have them tell you what time to leave to arrive when you need to be there.





carmellimo.com



dial7.com





are the 2 most popular car services. Carmel has a discount coupon on the website where it says save $$$




If your flight is at 8 and you aim to get there by 6, I would leave by 4:30. I have frequently left to go to JFK around this time, and traffic is just terrible. Leave a little earlier to take the stress out of your travel.




Haridas, Please be assured that NYC is a very safe place to walk around at night. I%26#39;ve never felt unsafe there like I do in my own city!





Also, the subway is very safe and, for a family, it would be a very convenient and much cheaper way to travel. I recommend it. I do agree with the other posts, however, that a car service or taxi is recommended for your trip to the airport. Hauling a bunch of luggage up and down subway station steps is not fun.





Safe and happy travels to you!




Thanks a lot to everybody for all the help.





My next question,





I shall be driving to New York from Washington. I have to drop the car off at the Alamo rental at 40W street, Manhattan. I have downloaded a route map from google. Do I need to be cautious about anything? Any special indtruction for a driver who is entering NYC for the first time?





Thanks for suggestions.





Haridas




There is no such place as ';40W Street';.





Do you mean that you are going to something that is somewhere on West 40th Street, and you have not given us the address? Or do you mean that you are going to a building whose address is #40 one West ___ Street, and you ahve not given us the number of the street?




I meant West 4oth Street.





Sorry for the confusion.





Haridas




About driving into NYC:





#1. THERE IS NO RIGHT-TURN-ON-RED in NYC. It is ILLEGAL in the five boroughs of NYC. PLEASE do not make right turns at red lights. I%26#39;ve seen and known people to get tickets, especially as they come in from NJ or have out-of-state plates.





#2. Have cash for tolls for the bridges and tunnels. I%26#39;m guesing you%26#39;ll come in via the Holland Tunnel. I think it%26#39;s $4.50?





#3. Our 2 local news-traffic-weather radio stations are:





AM1010 WINS (every 10 minutes on 1, 11, 21, etc.)





AM880 WCBS (on 8, 18, 28, etc)





You can get these signals way far outside NYC.





#4 We refer to our highways as ';highways';, ';parkways'; or ';expressways';, not ';freeways';. Also we typically use the names of highways (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway), not route numbers (278).





Dont%26#39; worry, you%26#39;ll do fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment