Tuesday, April 24, 2012

farmer's market

when r they?? where r they??





thanks :D





%26amp;%26amp; any recommendations on which venders to go to??



farmer's market


The biggest one in Manhattan is at Union Square (14th to 16th streets - Broadway). MWF and Sat. It can%26#39;t begin to compare with the Ferry Building market in SF though...I mail order dried fruit from there.





They just added another on Houston and 6th Ave that%26#39;s there on Sunday.





Mostly local farmers with fresh produce, cheeses. If you have access to an apartment and want to cook the best are probably the mushroom people, Coach Farms goat cheese/etc, the bok choy and kimchee people, the baguettes/scones, the stand on the far west part almost at the end that has 6+ different kinds of lettuce, arugala, huge radishes %26amp; carrots (cant remember the farm%26#39;s name, but I will get up early to get the salad bowl lettuce before its sold out). If you%26#39;d rather buy things with shelf life, the pretzels and jams are good. There%26#39;s also an apple farm that makes the most amazing apple turnovers - on the far west side, next to the pretzel stand





I%26#39;m not sure if any of your posts mention time of year you%26#39;ll be here, but later in the summer/early fall the most amazing concord grapes appear. This may not be such a novelty for a Californian. Some vendors sell them preboxed. I go to the vendor who charges by the pound, but hand selects the perfect grape bunches for you... Big dif in quality!



farmer's market


A local expert pointed me here when I first asked about this (I can%26#39;t remember who it was - sorry!).





www.cenyc.org/site/pages/GMKT/map2007.pdf





The home site is www.cenyc.org.




i must agree that the farmer%26#39;s market in sf is fab!!! i go there as often as i can. everything and then some can be found there. the produce is soooo fresh and flavorful... and the crafts ppl make are unbelievable!





there is a little gelato shop there too, that is superb... ciao bella (?)... it is just amazing... if i%26#39;m not mistaken i believe that it is originally from ny! :D




Sorry what is SF, where is it? Sounds good!




I love shopping at the farmer%26#39;s market. We%26#39;ve become so accustomed to having access to year-round availability of foods from around the world, but it%26#39;s so much nicer to welcome each season%26#39;s local produce. This morning, like most Saturdays, I was at the Union Square market just before 8:00. It%26#39;s the first week for local peaches and apricots, and there are lots of heirloom tomatoes now too. Strawberries appear to be done for the season, but plums should be making an appearance soon. And the cherries are outstanding. I even got something called ';scapes,'; which is an early garlic. I%26#39;ve never tried them, it might turn into a new favorite.




crabby - LOL!





I do believe that San Francisco is the only city that has a law making it illegal to abbreviate the name ;-)





Barry Benepe, the founder of Greenmarket in NYC, was just named ABC News Person of the Week last night - he%26#39;s done more to save local NYS farmers than any person or institution.




Ah ha! Lol. I was trying to figure out for the life of me why I couldn%26#39;t figure out those initials in relation to NYC, now I know, they switched coasts mid forum! Thanks!




Bettina, I%26#39;ll be curious about how you use the scapes. We got that in our first basket of produce from our CSA, and I think I used it like it was a green onion. I should have used it more appropriately, but I didn%26#39;t know what to do with it.




Bettina,





Here is a link to some recipes for using garlic scapes from a farmer I used to like visiting at the San Francisco Ferry Plaza farmers%26#39; market:





www.mariquita.com/recipes/garlic-scapes.html





Scapes are much more a spring thing there, out with asparagus, etc. They are tasty and one of those fleeting seasonal treats. Strawberries seemed to go on forever there because of a more temperate climate, I guess.





One of the interesting things about visiting farmers%26#39; markets in different regions is what grows when in different regions. Have noticed how different varieties taste different depending on where they are grown, too. Always fun to see what the local regional artisan creations are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment