Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 9 of ML's ten days in NYC

Friday, June 29



Didn%26#39;t set the alarm and still woke up at 6:15. It was a warm day, but not with the scorching heat that had been the case the previous three days. I bought a one day unlimited MTA pass, took the subway to 57th Street, and walked to Le Parker Meridian Hotel for breakfast at Norma%26#39;s. The Maitre d%26#39; asked my name, and I said I wasn%26#39;t staying in the hotel. He said they just like the know the names of their customers (don%26#39;t think customers was the word he used but I can%26#39;t come up with the right one). I gave him my name, he typed it in, handed the waiter a menu, and said to him, ';Please seat Mary Lou.”





When I was seated, the waiter filled my water glass and placed a tiny glass (like a skinny two-shot glass) filled with a foamy strawberry concoction on the table. I was about to take a sip when it occurred to me it might not be something to drink. I kept watching others (surreptitiously I hope) to see how they handled it, and about halfway through my meal I saw someone use a spoon. So I used a spoon too. I%26#39;m so glad I didn%26#39;t decide it was something to be poured over my breakfast. I still don%26#39;t know what it was called.





I ordered lemony griddle cakes with Devonshire cream ($17) (scrumptious) and asked if I could have a scrambled egg on the side. When my meal came, there was a pretty good sized platter of eggs. I guess they had to justify the $7 price for them. I just had tap water with my meal since I didn%26#39;t want to spend an outrageous amount for o.j. or tea.





After breakfast I walked to Columbus Circle and caught the A train uptown to The Cloisters. Got off at 190th Street and walked through Fort Tryon Park, a lovely walk with beautiful gardens in places and a view of the river. The area was off my map. Was it the Hudson River? I particularly liked the medieval architecture, the cloisters that were formed from various abbeys in Europe.





I had intended to go the Dyckman Street subway station and get lunch afterward. I%26#39;d used menu pages to identify some restaurants. The guard told me to go down the stairs, turn right and I%26#39;d see a playground and to go past that and I%26#39;d see it. I got to the bottom of the stairs and turned right, but I didn%26#39;t see a playground. I asked the guard outside how to get there, and he said he didn%26#39;t recommend trying to walk to Dyckman Street, it was too confusing. Instead I should take the bus for one stop. A bus was just pulling up, so I got on and asked the driver if he went to the Dyckman Street. He said no, and I was confused. He asked me where I wanted to go, and I told him the subway station. Oh, he said, that%26#39;s one stop away. When I got off the bus, I saw why he%26#39;d said he didn%26#39;t go to Dyckman Street. I was at the 190th Street station.





I wasn%26#39;t that hungry yet anyway because of the big breakfast at Norma%26#39;s, so I decided to go look around Grand Central Terminal and have lunch there. It certainly is grand, and there are loads of places to eat on the Dining Concourse. I had a panini with mozzarella, tomatoes, and black olive paste at Paninoteca Italiana and a Diet Coke for about $8.50 and found a table (not easy). Walked around gaping, then went back to the hotel and regrouped.





I had reserved a bike tour of Central Park at 4:00, so I took the subway to 57th Street and met up in front of SBR Multi Sports. There were about seven of us in the group and two guides. We chose our bikes. I chose one that looked small (I don%26#39;t think of myself as short, but I%26#39;m not too tall). We were told that New York doesn’t have a helmet law so we didn’t have to wear helmets. I was the only dork who opted to, although it was too big for me and I never was able to get it comfortably adjusted, so about halfway through the ride, I took it off.





After saying we’d have to walk our bikes the one block to Central Park, guide Joe amended that giving us the option to ride down the street (against traffic). Yeah, yeah, yeah everyone else said, and Joe said the 4:00 tour was always cool. So I kept my mouth shut. We all took off. Well, everyone except me. My bike wouldn’t pedal. Everyone whizzed past, turned the corner, and were gone.





Fortunately, guide Richard was just leaving, and I flagged him down. The chain was off my bike. He asked why I hadn’t tested it, but no one else had tested theirs and I guess I’m a fool for assuming that bikes sitting ready for a tour would all be in working condition. Richard called Joe on his cell and told him to wait at the first stop for us. I got set up with a different bike, we took off, and wouldn’t you know it, somehow my shoelace got caught in the pedal and I had to stop and get it loose and re-tie my shoe. I was already feeling like a fool, so I asked Richard if we could please walk our bikes the one block.





We caught up with the rest of the group at Wollman Rink, set up for the summer with a kiddie carnival. The tour was a combination of riding bikes, walking bikes, and stopping to view various areas while our guides talked about what we were seeing. We saw the Mall, Bow Bridge, Bethesda Fountain and the boathouse, and we went through part of the Ramble. It was while we were riding through the Ramble that I had trouble changing gears and had difficulty getting up the hill, wobbled around a bit. (The gears change differently and more easily on my bike.) Once I was through that embarrassing moment, I was fine the rest of the tour, but I was the oldest of the group and that made me feel as if I stood out as a really old person. We saw Belvedere Castle, Strawberry Fields, and the Imagine Memorial. On our way out of the park, we passed Tavern on the Green. The tour was a lot of fun and we covered pretty much ground in a short time (a little less than two hours).





After we turned in our bikes, I walked back to Tavern on the Green to have a drink. I was seated in the bar area of the garden, which was charming, with paper lanterns strung in the trees, various animal topiaries, some blinking lights, and lovely plants. My glass of Sauvignon Blanc cost $10. Afterward, I walked around inside and peeked in at the famous Crystal Room, which was lovely but not as fabulous as I expected. I think it might look more spectacular when it’s dark outside.





I took the subway back to the hotel, freshened up and changed clothes, and set out again for dinner. As I was heading out the door, I realized I didn’t have my sunglasses. I’d left them somewhere at Tavern on the Green, probably in the bathroom. Fortunately, I hadn’t been wearing the new ones I’d bought on the trip but an old pair I’ve had for years, so I didn’t bother trying to retrieve them.





I walked to the Murray Hill area, around 3rd Avenue and 34-37th Streets looking for a place to have dinner. There were a lot of cafes, some with outdoor tables, but they were all packed. I went into a restaurant called Hudson Place and they had a table for one open. I had seared tuna steak and the waitress made certain I understood it was served rare. It came with risotto and spinach and it was very good. With a glass of iced tea it came to about $40.





Since I’d gone to Top of the Rock during the day, I planned to view the city at night from the Empire State Building. On the way back from dinner, I got in line (guess I should call that on line). A sign out front said the wait was 25-30 minutes (it was longer), the view was clear, and the wind breezy. Or something like that. The first line was for security (up one floor on the escalator). I loved the floor in this area. I had pre-purchased a ticket online, so I was able to bypass the long ticket line. Then we had to wait in line for the elevator to the 80th floor. That took a while. Then we were herded through another line where each group (mine was a group of one) had a photo taken. Another line for elevators to the 86th floor and finally out onto the observation deck that was practically wall-to-wall people. I’d rented the audio, but unless I was right up in front, I couldn’t always see what was being talked about. The audio might go better during the day.





It was an awesome view though, and I’m glad I went. I was able to get in front on each side, and the full moon added to the beauty of the lights. When I decided to go back down, there were more elevator lines. By then it was after 11:00, so I walked back to the hotel. The traffic was still heavy, souvenir stores and diners were still open, and the sidewalks were still full of people.



Day 9 of ML's ten days in NYC


Thanks you so much for the Cloisters info. I wondered how practical it was to walk from a station to the Cloisters. Both the NYC transit and HopStop sites say to go to a Dyckman station (looks like there are 2) and walk, but I couldn%26#39;t tell how difficult it would be. Sounds like it%26#39;s not that easy!





I%26#39;m seeing 3 consistencies in your trip posting:



1. New Yorkers seem very willing to help you get where you need to go, so I won%26#39;t be hesitating to ask whenever I get lost on my upcoming trip.



2. You chose wonderful places to eat and have done a great job describing the tasting experience. Where is George%26#39;s where you ate breakfast on your first few days?



3. You would be a great person to travel with! Let me know when your next trip is and sign me up!



Day 9 of ML's ten days in NYC


Wow, Mimmy! Thank you for such detailed travelogues!





I printed your chapters out and caught up on days 1-7 on the subway home last night. Like others, I%26#39;m very impressed with all the activities you did and your intrepid nature.





My first question is, what kind of shoes do you wear, and how many pairs did you bring with you!





P.S. The bike helmet law in NYC is that anyone 14 years of age and under must wear a helmet. (So, ';no helmet law'; for adults.)




Catherp, the Cloisters was not difficult to get to from the 109th St. subway station. After I came up the steps, there was something like a roundabout and almost straight across were two pillars. That marked the entrance to the path. Then I just followed the signs that said To Cloisters. Or you could take the bus one stop, I think it was the M4.





New Yorkers were always willing to help, and I witnessed even businessmen seemingly in a rush stop to help people.





George%26#39;s was in the financial district, on the corner of Rector St. and Greenwich.





QB, I wear Brooks athletic shoes. I had a foot problem in the past that called for custom orthotics, and the pedorthist recommended Brooks as being the best for what I needed, so I only wear Brooks when I walk. My second pair of shoes are my older Brooks (both pairs are black so I figure they%26#39;re good for the theater too). I also bring a pair of Mephisto sandals, but I mostly wear those in the hotel.





Thanks for clearing up the helmet law thing. Since I know kids who%26#39;ve gotten concussions from ';forgetting'; to wear their helmets, I%26#39;m glad to know that at least they%26#39;re supposed to.




Mimmy,



Haven%26#39;t read your previous reports but will do so now! I%26#39;ll be in the city in just 3 weeks but for 3 short days. I%26#39;m soooo envious of your 10 days! Thanks for your reports. Very interesting.




Great reports!!!!!




Continuation of great detailed reports.




I was also just thinking that you%26#39;d be a hoot to travel with, Mimmy! You%26#39;d better let me know the next time you hit NYC.





I had a good laugh at your bike tour mishaps. Sounds exactly like what would happen to me. Were you able to park/lock your bikes to see everything, or did you have to stay with them the whole time?




Wonderfully detailed reports and you saw so much! I was hoping someone would comment on the strawberry concoction you were served at breakfast. Does anyone know what it was?




Bettina, we stayed with our bikes all the time. We%26#39;d walk them to get to areas where riding them wasn%26#39;t allowed.





Marleney, I was hoping someone in the know would comment on the strawberry concoction too. I kept thinking how funny it would be if we were in fact meant to drink it, but because one person used a spoon, everyone else was watching and used a spoon too. I%26#39;m positive the man sitting next to me, from a non-English speaking country to judge by his accent, was waiting to see. I saw a woman spooning it, I started spooning it, and then he picked up his spoon too.





By the way, thanks to everyone for all the nice comments I%26#39;ve received.

No comments:

Post a Comment