Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gramercy Tavern - Substitute

Greetings -

Mrs. XB wanted to eat at Gramercy Tavern on our trip to NYC next week and asked me to make reservations. I figured it being July that I wouldn%26#39;t have too much trouble getting a table a week and half ahead of time. I called and they only have a table for 2 at 5:30 and 10:00 on both Wednesday and Thursday. Not the best times.

So does anyone have a similar restaurant that I can try?

Gramercy Tavern - Substitute

Similar in what way? For good food but not cozy atmosphere, Eleven Madison Park. For a similar feeling place with good food, Blue Hill.

Gramercy Tavern - Substitute

or keeping it in the Danny Meyer family further, Union Square Cafe.

you might also want to look at Gemma, a great space that just opened in the Bowery Hotel.


BTW - you are aware that July 16-20 and 23-27 are Restaurant Week(s)? Check with opentable.com for available reservations those weeks - I can tell you that most dinner spots are long gone.


Restaurant Week- @#%*!

I looked at Blue Hill and liked it. I don%26#39;t know why I thought this but I thought the only Blue Hill was outside the city.

Gemma doesn%26#39;t have a menu online yet.


here%26#39;s Gemma%26#39;s menu

www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp鈥?/a>


Blue Hill%26#39;s out of Manhattan place is

http://bluehillstonebarns.com/bhsb.html


I looked at Blue Hill and liked what I saw but they had difficult times as well.

I thought that Eleven Madison might be a little ';foodie'; for me (hard to explain).

I liked Gemma%26#39;s menu and might pick that another time and might take a swing by.

Much of that searching took me to Opentable.com and I started to poke around and decided on The Red Cat on Wednesday and Del Posto on Thursday. Mrs. XB has wanted to go to The Red Cat since we started to wander around the galleries in Chelsea and she commented on how we should have gone to Del Posto after an awful visit to a place called EarthNYC on our last trip.

I will report back.

Thanks for your suggestions and giving me a focus


Isn%26#39;t Del Posto Mr. Batali%26#39;s new place?

Heard they serve a lot of offal, innards, gizzards and the like.

Doesn%26#39;t sound too yummy to me.

Too bad about the Gramercy - I enjoyed the Mesa Grill a couple of time when I was dining high end, which is not often.

Bon appetit.

Poppa


You crack me up Poppa.

I happen to like innards and gizzards.

I once spent quality time in London trying to get braised ostrich. This was about 10 years ago and its more common now. I always think that whatever exotic meat they are serving me is actually a cheap roast beef that they are charging twice as much for and lauging three times as hard.


Red Cat and Del Posto are excellent choices - and a little tip, Del Posto%26#39;s Enoteca has a 4 course prix fixe for $45/person, one of the truly great bargains in town.

  • pink hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment