Monday, April 23, 2012

I've searched here and menupages; still need expert opinions

I%26#39;ve read through pre-theater dinner threads here and looked at menupages. I%26#39;m trying to pick a nice restaurant, prix fixe would be great, for August Wilson Theater area, 245 West 52nd Street. We are staying at Comfort Inn Midtown, 129 W 46th Street and would like to stay in the vicinity for dinner. DH does not like Italian food :((( so that%26#39;s out. Basically he%26#39;s a beef (well done...no tartare) man but also likes some seafood/chicken dishes. I%26#39;ve looked closer at 21 Club and AJ Maxwells and would like other suggestions before making my decision. I also need to keep this meal under $100.00 for both of us. Thank you!



I've searched here and menupages; still need expert opinions


Did you look at this list? I%26#39;m guessing you did already...





tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62725/New-Yor鈥?/a>





What about Thalia? If that%26#39;s a little far of a walk, you could go a little earlier? They have a $35 prix fixe.





restaurantthalia.com/menu/menu_dinner_entree鈥?/a>





Cafe Un Deux Trois is quite nice and also has a nice pre-theatre pix fixe.





http://www.cafeundeuxtrois.biz/





How fancy does this have to be? In other words, how do you feel about a slightly casual place, like Film Center Cafe or a pub?



I've searched here and menupages; still need expert opinions


There%26#39;s The Palm steakhouse a couple of blocks away. Or, if you want simpler and within your price range, try the casual Joe Allen. Very good comfort food. Actually, they%26#39;ve got a little of everything on the menu, from steak to burgers to salads. Tough to get a reservation though.




Bobby Van%26#39;s has 4 very good steakhouses in Manhattan, one of which is on west 50th st. Not sure about your budget but check the menu.



menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp鈥?/a>





Nearer your hotel, Via Brasil is a lovely off the beaten track Brazilian rest. that has steak, chicken, seafood.



menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp鈥?/a>





I love the 21 Club, but only sitting downstairs in the casual barroom. The upstairs dining room is too stuffy and expensive. If you don%26#39;t drink too much, If you don%26#39;t drink at all, you%26#39;ll be on budget with their prix fixe $40 pre theater with tax and tip included.




for some great Prix Fix dinner I would head to Restuarant Row on 48th btwn 8th and 9th Ave. Alot of restuarnts to choose from and all have prix fix menus posted you can look at them all and pick the best for you.





Cheers,




Magic, agree that Restaurant Row is a good place to look. It%26#39;s on 46th St., not 48th St. though. And, while you can read menus and pop into restaurants there, the very popular places are fully reserved way in advance. It%26#39;s extremely rare to be able to dine pre-theater without a reservation at Joe Allen, Orso, Lattanzi, Becco, and others.




Thank you all for the suggestions..you%26#39;ve given me a lot to research and I%26#39;ll let you know what I decide. To answer a question, no, it doesn%26#39;t have to be %26#39;fancy%26#39; or overly romantic. We%26#39;re actually going to have less than 24 hours in NYC so will be pretty rushed. To me, food quality rates first; to DH money matters! Also, the less fancily prepared the food is, the better it will be for him....no cute fru-fru presentation for him...just slap the burnt steak on the plate(best be tender enough to cut with a fork), throw on a baked potato, grab a bottle of A-1 sauce and bring it to him!




Actually, there is NO PLACE on restaurant row where I would order a steak. The best places there are Italian. Please avoid Broadway Joe%26#39;s. It%26#39;s just dreadful. And just walking down restaurant row without a reservation is a classic tourist error and a recipe for getting a disaster. As Bettina says, the best places will likely be booked and you%26#39;ll wind up with a lousy meal.





I haven%26#39;t been to AJ Maxwell%26#39;s, but the reviews are great. I like Bobby Van%26#39;s and the Palm is usually good although haven%26#39;t been to that one. Del Frisco%26#39;s is another good steak place in that area but it always strikes me as an ';anywhere USA'; type place (maybe because it is a chain).





For one night in NYC and a memorable experience, if your husband doesn%26#39;t mind putting on a sports jacket %26amp; TIE and you can find something you both like on the pre theater menu, do the 21 Club.






Our trip is not until the Fall but I%26#39;d feel better knowing I had a reservation lined up ahead of time. Oh, and I don%26#39;t want to eat at a %26#39;chain%26#39; in NYC either...I can do that anytime here in OK! After briefly looking at all the suggestions and reading the menupages, instead of narrowing it down I%26#39;ve expanded my options, oh my! At least I%26#39;ve got time to play with the decision. Bobby Vans, The Palm/Westside, Film Center Cafe, %26amp; 21 Club all sound great. DH is very comfy in ties when needs be so that will be no problem....glad you mentioned it though as I%26#39;m not sure we would have packed one.




My guess is that AJ Maxwells, 21 Club and Palm will easily run over $100 combined. Steaks will be about $40 at each of these places AND you get no sides or salad with that. Also I think your husband needs to wear a jacket at 21 Club so I%26#39;m not sure if that will be too stuffy for him.




You can%26#39;t make dinner reservations now for the fall. Many restaurants accept reservations a month in advance, but most no more than two weeks, and some only a week ahead.





www.opentable.com makes it easy to find and reserve restaurants.


  • makeup help
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment