Wednesday, April 18, 2012

LaGuardia or Newark

I%26#39;m trying to decide between the 2 airports. Both flight times are approximately the same, both arrive at about the same time, but flying into Newark will save us about 70 bucks each. I%26#39;m staying in Manhattan near the Museum of Natural History. Any suggestions?





LaGuardia or Newark


Hi It really depends if it is worth it to you the $70 each. LGA is the closest airport to Manhattan. Yes there is a shuttle for all, but let%26#39;s say when going home, I rather jump in a cab and get to the airport in no time. a cab to Newark is expensive?





The money you save you would spend in cab fare? I am not a fan of Newark, I would rather fly Lga any day.





Just an opinon!



LaGuardia or Newark


I%26#39;m in a similar dilemma. I had booked frequent flyer tickets a month or so ago in a panic because they were drying up. My only option was into JFK and out of Newark. Well, they%26#39;ve freed up space and now I can fly into and out of LGA. I know I want to change my inbound flight because I can come in Friday night instead of Saturday morning and I%26#39;ve had 2 terrible experiences from JFK, but what about the outbound? I buy myself 2 more hours by going out of LGA, so I think I%26#39;ll do it.





The downside to this is I have to change hotels. I guess that means more research on TA. Oh, darn! :-)




Catherp, When are you coming in? When do you need lodging?




Definitely LaGuardia. It is so much closer to Manhattan and a cab from Newark is $60-65 without toll and tip. If you ever HAVE to fly to Newark, take the AirTrain which runs between the terminal and train station in Newark itself, then connects with NYPenn Station. Costs about $11 but it is a hassle. LaGuardia is a smaller airport and infinitely easier to negotiate.




have used both...just flew in and out of Newark last weekend as we were touring Princeton....we took the airtrain to Newark train station then took the NJ transit to Penn station then a subway to our hotel in midtown. The NJ transit train was so crowded we had to stand, and it was late, took about an hour and a half to get to our hotel and cost us (2 of us) 34 dollars...took a cab with a flat rate on the return trip and cost us 73 dollars and I tipped him 10. We made it there in record time he said, 25 minutes, and the rate was a flat rate...a yellow cab would have been on the meter and would have been cheaper, but one never knows about traffic...La Guardia is certainly closer, so the money saved at Newark will be eaten away in cab fare or time spent on the NJ Transit...I say fly into LaGuardia, it is a smaller airport and really easy to navigate...Have a great trip.




Beachlover, I%26#39;m coming for the US Open. I%26#39;ve narrowed it down to the Affinia properties and I think it will be the Affinia Gardens because of its proximity to the F line. We need a full kitchen, want to be in a residential area, will be doing most of the activities in the



Central Park area, and will need a 2:00 am check in along with easy acces to a line that goes to Flushing Meadows. It looks like the F train makes a good jump around the busy stops for the 7 and connects at a good point, so I like that transit idea.




LGA for sure. although its a larger airport, it is a breeze to get through. ive connected through newark dozens of times and hate that place.



i think you sort of answered your own question......saving $70 each?? that translates into....well....around 12 cocktails......LOL




Catherp, while the E and the F run express in Queens, the connection at 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue for the #7 is NOT an easy connection. The F is a subway,a nd the #7 is an elevated. If the escalators are not running, you have a lonnnnngggggggg climb up the stairs -- accompanied by 5,000 of your closest friends. If you are going to the US open, and want to be comfortable, by all means take the Long Island Rail Road Port Washington Line to Shea Stadium station, which is in fact closer to the tennis stadium, and will get you there in under 15 minutes from Penn Station. Otherwise, board the #7 at Times Square (or, if it is a really crowded time, board at Grand Central heading to Times Square) to guarantee yourself a seat. You will eliminate the inconvenience of the difficult transfer in Jackson Heights.




Thanks GWB for that insight. In one of my first posts, someone had responded that the F to 7 was a great idea. How often are the escalators not working? It wouldn%26#39;t a big deal for me, but it would be for my mom. Is there an elevator?





As you were writing that, I was cancelling my backup reservation at the Shelburne Murray Hill. Maybe that wasn%26#39;t a great idea with its proximity to Penn Station.




I fly all the time and will always choose Newark over the other 2 - definitely over LaGuardia!





any time there is any weather in the NY area, LaGuardia is delayed at least an hour more than JFK and EWR. At least is the key word. One day last week there were 1 hour delays due to the weather at JFK and Newark and 3 hour delays at LaGuardia.





EVERY time I fly into our out of LaGuardia except outbound on Saturday - I sit on a tarmac or circle for at least an hour.





The difference between the cab from LGA will be more than made up by the $70 savings on the Newark flight...





What%26#39;s your time worth???

No comments:

Post a Comment