Friday, March 30, 2012

What hotel would you choose in NYC?

Max budget 2000 dollars for a hotel for 2 (dble) for 6 nights - 20 - 26 November - had thought of a few but would love the experts and recent recommendations. Also like to know if thanksgiving is the 23rd Nov and if any of the hotel booking sites include all taxes so I know exactly what I will pay.Thanks PS Casablanca is my current choice but if you know better please write!



What hotel would you choose in NYC?


I%26#39;m afraid I can%26#39;t help with picking a specific hotel, but in answer to your other two questions:





Thanksgiving is on November 22nd this year. November 23rd is ';Black Friday,'; one of the busiest shopping days of the year.





Hotel booking sites generally do NOT include taxes in their rates. Hotel taxes in New York are quite high, around 15% when all is said and done. Unless the site you%26#39;re looking at specifically says ';taxes included,'; be sure to factor that in.



What hotel would you choose in NYC?


If it is in your budget for that time of year, I would try the Michelangelo. Great around the holidays, very upscale/old world.





Lisa




Taxes are not included when hotels quote prices. Hotel tax in NYC is about 15% so if you want to spend only $2000 total, that would be about $1700 for the 6 nights.





I can%26#39;t find the Casablanca for that price for your dates, so if you can, that%26#39;s great. Many of the Affinia.com hotels (Shelburne Murray Hill, Affinia 50, Beekman) fall within your budget on quikbook with a suite (with small kitchen) but those prices require prepayment and no changes. I wouldn%26#39;t do that in your place given how far away Nov. is and the possibility of better prices closer to the trip. I also see no reason for them to have your money for so long. Those hotels are also not on the west side.





So...of the things I see for about your budget that I would consider





%26gt;the San Carlos is a lovely hotel and you can get a room there for $1854 plus tax (so would be about $2131 total) on quikbook.com It%26#39;s on the east side though, not as close to Times Square as the Casablanca. I wouldn%26#39;t consider that a problem, but you might. It also doesn%26#39;t include the breakfast and wine and cheese that the Casablanca has, but I think the room will have a small kitchen.





%26gt;The Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave. (3 east 40 st) is $219/night for queen or $259/night for a king bed on Courtyard website, so below your budget.





%26gt;Residence Inn Times Square $259 on residenceinn.com or $275 corner room w/3 windows--both within your budget. The Residence Inn is relatively new and all rooms have a small sitting area and a full kitchen. I THINK it might also include breakfast. I don%26#39;t think this requires prepayment but please check.





I also saw the Intercontinental Barclay within your budget for a queen room on Orbitz.com,. but it%26#39;s non refundable.




Oh dear I thought that 2034 dollars was the price but did not add tax - So that will take it to ???? how much more (I%26#39;ll have to get my calculator) Thanks for raising my awareness of taxes to add to hotel bookings and for confirming the thanksgiving date.




We are looking for a hotel for 3-4 nights in Sept.



We got the Time hotel last November over Thanksgiving for $200 a night for 5 nights with Quikbook,thanks to a tip on this site.



We got the same hotel for one night ,Fri 16th march for $210 again with quikbook.



However in Sept the best we can find is $339 a night .



Any ideas where we will get a decent hotel in times sq area for $200-$220 a night,or when do we start looking for deals.



Is it worth asking at the Time hotel when we are there since next Sept will be our third stay there.



All help appreciated.



Oh I asked before about luggage storage facilities at JFK,and was given a number to ring which I did and was told the service was stopped.




kambinky, I think it depends where the hotel booking site is based. Sites from the uk like expedia etc will include tax but if you%26#39;re looking at the hotels own website then it won%26#39;t.




firsttimer, if you like the Time that much and will be there between now and Sept., it certainly doesn%26#39;t hurt to ask while you%26#39;re there about Sept. dates. Have you checked the hotel%26#39;s own website for prices? I don%26#39;t really see any prices around $200 at that time of year. The Night hotel is owned by the same co. I think and is $250 plus tax but it%26#39;s a bit funky. The Excelsior hotel is nice on the upper west side for $229 plus tax. It%26#39;s across from the Museum of Natural History. I%26#39;d also guess there may be some travelzoo.com specials. You could always try bidding on Priceline too if it%26#39;s just 2 of you.





kaminky, Ange is correct. If it%26#39;s on quikbook, no it doesn%26#39;t inlcude tax.




nywhiz - just hope you get my thanks for your contributions and information. I am no good with the computer and cannot find my way around it but just found a note from you with thanksgiving website - cheers. Posting too many times is due to losing my place - I apologise for asking the same question and will read all the reviews as suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment