Friday, March 30, 2012

Ladies Ladies Ladies (& Gents) - I'm back - Trip Report Pt 1

Soooooooo…..here we go!





Friday morning arrived and we made our way to London Heathrow. As this whole thing was a surprise, my partner had no idea where we were going. She had packed accordingly – I had informed her she was to pack as though she was going to a warm city with no beach. Checked in at one of Virgin’s terminal points and I didn’t realise ‘JFK, New York’ would show up on the next screen… it did and she saw it! She was over the moon – absolutely ecstatic! She now knew what her 25th birthday surprise was! She spent the next 2 hours deliberating where she wanted to shop and eat – little did she know I had already mapped everything out using all of your fine advice and tips on Google Maps.



Flight was normal – food was surprisingly good and service was wonderful - couldn’t have found better staff on any other airline.





We arrived at JFK, and whilst queuing she started to quiz me about our hotel – I told her I couldn’t afford anything spectacular so I just hope it will be sufficient for our needs but I still will not tell her where until we arrive there. She replied “it would be funny if the Customs guy says it out loud” to which I said “He has no reason to”…. How wrong was I to be… After a few brief questions, the very polite Customs officer said “So you been to New York before”. I said “3rd time”. He said “First time you’re staying in the Waldorf Astoria ?” It was at this point I had no response and the look on her face was a Kodak moment – she had heard of the Waldorf but had no idea that we would actually be staying there! I have never heard a US Customs officer apologise so many times after he realised it was a surprise.





Onwards we went to catch a taxi – very nice driver. Arrived at the Waldorf in the drop off area – checked in our luggage and made our way to check-in. We checked in but were told room was to be ready at 3.30. I had pre-warned them that this was a special occasion so they upgraded us to a larger corner room. Nice and large room. Excellent courteous staff throughout the hotel made the stay even more pleasurable.





We decided to head out to get some food. Having stepped off a flight and being in desperate need of food, we decided to get some fast food as we didn’t have the patience to appreciate good NYC food. So we headed out on to 50th and wondered around to find a McDonald’s (I know, I know but we were hungry and just wanted to get some food we knew we could rely on). Found one at on 6th Ave (it was delicious – we don’t get options of having a chicken burgers grilled or crispy!!!) We decided to stroll towards the hotel the long way round… camera in hand we walked all the way up 6th to Central Park popping in and out of shops as and when we were drawn in! After strolling towards 5th Ave alongside Central Park, we decided to make a move towards the hotel so crossed Madison and walked all the way back down Park Ave towards 50th.





This was the first look of the room we got – it wasn’t amazing (afterall it wasn%26#39;t a suite) but it was big, spacious and had a historic traditional feel to it which is something we both like – flat screen tv’s and all white walls don’t interest us in the least. This is what a grand historic hotel should be like! She decided she needed to relax after the walk around and the flight so I decided to pop out and start to organise her birthday. I jumped on the subway at 51st and Lexington and made my way to the Tkts booth in South Street Seaport. Managed to get excellent seats to a matinee showing of the Phantom of the Opera the following day. Had a small look around at the street vendors and decided I would re-visit later with the other half! So back onto the subway and back to the hotel. Hid the tickets, woke her up and decided to get some food.





We walked towards Times Square – the moment we stepped into the lights we were taken aback by the sheer size of the displays! They were nothing like the previous memories I had! We made our way to John’s pizzeria and thoroughly enjoyed every slice!!! NYC pizza absolutely rules and I can understand why those of you love pizza probably cannot stand places like Pizza Hut and Sbarro%26#39;s with great places like these! Also, had a few drinks at the bar whilst we aited for our table....the size of the drinks - I had a JD and Coke - there was no space for the Coke at the top of the glass!!! Still... a stiff drink is what is needed after being awake for 22hrs





We started the walk back and saw a Pedicab/Rickshaw and decided it was a nice cool evening to enjoy one of these back to the hotel so jumped on one for only $10! We walked into the room and saw the first surprise the hotel had arranged – champagne, wine, chocolate strawberries, fruit, cheese and crackers!!! Such a vast amount of food… so quickly consumed!!!





As soon as we lay our heads on the soft pillows we were out for the count! A very long day with not much done in some people%26#39;s eyes - but we still had 4 whole days left so I wasn;t worrying about the lack of time - I had other worries (and yes you know what!!!!)





Still to come…. Her birthday… The proposal…The rest of the holiday (which I presume no one is interested in once you have read about the proposal!)





Flash!



Ladies Ladies Ladies (%26amp; Gents) - I'm back - Trip Report Pt 1


This is so exciting! Love it! Can%26#39;t wait for chapter two.



Ladies Ladies Ladies (%26amp; Gents) - I'm back - Trip Report Pt 1


Look Flash ..... if you don%26#39;t live up to your name and hurry up to tell us all about the %$#@ proposal ..... well ..... I%26#39;m just going to report you to the TA for an ';inappropriate post.';



And to think ..... I actually included you in my NYC Forum Pop Quiz .




At long last !!!!! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you!!!!



It sounds perfect so far !!!! (even McD%26#39;s.......that was easy and quick and stressfree!)



Waiting for more!!




You are wonderful for organizing such a great surprise, sounds like a great start.





Looking forward to part 2, and the proposal, and birthday.




So far it sounds great, but please don%26#39;t keep us waiting too much longer. I%26#39;m very impatient!!!




Wow! What a fantastic start!





I too can%26#39;t wait for the birthday and proposal (although if I get divorced can you whisk me off to NY for my birthday instead??)




Here%26#39;s a news flash for ya%26#39; Flash ..... it didn%26#39;t take this long for James Joyce to write Ullyses ..... will you get to the proposal already ?



I have a 2:00 o%26#39;clock closing in Long Island on a deal I%26#39;ve been working on for the last six months and I need to catch the 12:49 train out of Penn Station. Some time today Flash .....okay.




I%26#39;m with LP.... Great flight...upgraded room ... McDonalds ... John%26#39;s ... yada yada yada. Don%26#39;t make me wait until tonight to read about the Big Day!




Sincerest apologies for the delay guys. Have had so much to do over the past week but actually made a point of letting you all know today!





Ange - let me know when you birthday is!





Lotus - All good things come to those who wait! Part two is on its way! But i have to say... on the cab ride back to the hotel after the proposal... Maroon 5 were on the radio which reminded me of She will be Loved and it didn%26#39;t leave my mind for the rest of the stay!!! So thank you for the lyrics in the previous post!




Lotus you are just too funny!





Flash, you are very good at foreshadowing but we are all waiting for the big moment. I am loving your report so far but let%26#39;s go! Moms

No comments:

Post a Comment