Friday, March 30, 2012

Empire State Building

What is the best way to avoid the lines going up to the observation decks? I know to buy the tickets on line, but how do I avoid the other lines?



Empire State Building


You either have to buy one of those express pass things that they have listed on the website, or you have to befriend somebody who works within the building. They can take you up with their work ID and you don%26#39;t have to stand in line.



Empire State Building


I had been told by a friend that the best way to avoid the often notoriously long lines at the Empire State Building was to get there first thing in the morning. So, when I was in New York in May I made a point of getting up early enough in the morning to arrive at the ESB at around 7:30 in the morning [the observation deck opens at 8:00 a.m.]. I ended up fourth in line. When things opened at 8:00 a.m. it didn鈥檛 take long to get up to the 86th floor observation deck. I already had my electronic ticket purchased on-line so I didn鈥檛 have to waste time buying a ticket when I was there; I just went straight ahead to the elevators. [There are two sets of elevators that you have to take - one set takes you from the 2nd floor to the 80th, then a second set takes you from the 80th to the 86th.]





By the time I left the ESB at around 9:15 a.m. a long line had already begun to develop and was forming outside the building.





Some tourists who have posted information on this forum have been lucky and have sometimes found no line-ups around supper time, i.e. 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.





Be sure to visit the Top of the Rock observation deck at the Rockefeller Centre as well. It offers much better views over all. Moreover, tickets for the TOTR provide for staggered admission hours and this means that there is no waiting in line.




The best way to avoid the lines is to go to Top of the Rock instead!




We purchase tickets prior to arrival, went up at about 9.30 p.m. and didn%26#39;t really have to wait. After the first elevator we were in a line up and they said if we wanted we could walk up the last 6 flights of stairs, which we did. Same happened on the way down. Good advice do the Top of the Rock instead, did that in the afternoon, bought tickets and no line ups whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment